ILLUSTRATION AND VISUAL NARRATIVE - TASK 2 - DIGITAL TRIPTYCH (HONOR CHALLENGE)

21 Sep 2022 ~ 28 Sep 2022 / Week 4 ~ Week 5
Lee Kai Jin / 0354707 / Bachelors of Mass Communication (Hons) (Digital Media Production)
Illustration and Visual Narrative / Taylor's University

Task (Exercises / Project):
Task 2: Digital Triptych (Honor Challenge)


LECTURES

Week 4 (Wed, 21 Sep 2022): Mask, Gradient, Shape Builder


Before the class started, Mr Hafiz demonstrate us some basic skills using Adobe AI in texting which might help for some people that taking Typography in this semester.

L_4.0, Doing some effect in text, week 4

The class of today mainly contain:
- application of mask
- making gradient colour
- shape builder

L_4.1, Drawing a "flower" like pattern using duplicate (cmd + D), week 4

L_4.2, Using "Shape Builder" to combine shapes, week 4

L_4.3, Colouring using gradient colour, week 4

L_4.4, Making "fake gradient" using "Mask", week 4

The "fake gradient" is a express way to check the effect of the outcome only, not encouraged for final design as it might cause colour error especially for printing.


Week 5 (Wed, 28 Sep 2022): Design Feedback and Basic Camera Shots


Before the class started, Ms Anis provide us feedback on our Honor Challenge design.

The lecture of today is about some basic camera shots which included frame in frame, full shot, bird eye, worm eye and more. These camera shots are not only applicable on camera shooting but also in design.


INSTRUCTIONS


Task 2: Digital Triptych (Honor Challenge)

Week 4

We are required to design a three sections that are hinged together and can be folded shut or displayed open. The theme will be:

Cultural Prosperity - Celebration or;
Renewal of Life - Return.

I spent a lot of time in drafting and thinking what should I draw as the theme is quite unusual to me.

My idea is inspired by the plant fern. It has been existed since the Devonian which is about 419 million years ago. The fern or the Polypodiopsida species do not have much different since million years ago and it has a very strong vitality to survive.

The main element would be fern of different growing state.

I_4.0, Drawing shape outline, week 4

I_4.1, Change the outline with colour, week 4

I_4.2, Try effect with different types of strokes, week 4

I decided to use shell (representing Devonian), Revueltosaurus (representing Triassic) and human (representing present).

I_4.3, Drawing draft of background element

I_4.4, Background element, week 4

The process of designing the frame is not easy as it need to be not so stand out at the same time match the design of elements inside of the frame.

I_4.5, Experimenting frame size, week 4

I_4.6, Drawing frame outline (inspired by plants), week 4

I_4.7, Colouring the frame, week 4

I_4.8, Effect of repeated frame, week 4

I_4.9, Effect of Frame + Main Element, week 4

I_4.10, Effect of Frame + Background Element, week 4

I_4.11, Effect of Frame + Main + Background Elements, week 4

Week 5

Because I feel like the background is still too plain, I decided to add some repeating pattern at the back with very low opacity to make it looks not so boring. Also, I decided to narrow the frame as it took too much spaces.

I_5.0, Repeating pattern, week 5

I_5.1, Effect of frame + pattern, week 5

I_5.2 Effect of showing everything, week 5

Not satisfied with the effect, let's make the pattern smaller and repeating.

I_5.3, Smaller the size of repeating pattern, week 5

Inspired by zoo and safari, use some jungle theme colour to design the frame. I also draw some camouflage pattern as the background so at least the lowest layer is not full white.

I_5.4, Recolouring frame, week 5

I_5.5, Background colour, week 5

I_5.6, Effect of viewing all layers, week 5

Since some of the background pattern is overlapping the main element in the design, so I rearrange it.

I_5.7, Rearranging background pattern, week 5

I_5.8, Final visual effect, week 5

Final Submission of Task 2: Digital Triptych (Honor Challenge)

Final Submission of Task 2: Digital Triptych (Honor Challenge) (.jpeg) (*compressed into 150ppi due to Blogspot limitation)

Final Submission of Task 2: Digital Triptych (Honor Challenge) (.pdf)


FEEDBACK

-



REFLECTIONS

Experience:

It is very fun in slowly designing what I want layer by layer and at the end satisfied with what I want using Adobe AI.

Observations:

I found out some of my friends did the poster very well but anyway I am satisfied to my output as I do not have much experience in designing.

Findings:

There is a lot of method to create a shapes using Adobe AI we want just that we prefer on which way and which one is the easiest and fastest for us.
 

FURTHER READING

Design & Feng Shui: Logos, Trademarks & Signboards

Design & feng shui, logos, trademarks & signboards : Lip, Evelyn : Free  Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Fig. FR_1.0, Design & Feng Shui: Logos, Trademarks & Signboards

"Accidentally" found this interesting book while randomly walking around in the library. The book is about how the theory of Feng Shui works in designing and in general, we should achieve the "Yin Yang" balance in designing, which mainly need to make sure our design is balance in layout and colours.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VIDEO AND SOUND PRODUCTION - PROJECT 1

VIDEO AND SOUND PRODUCTION - PROJECT 2

VIDEO AND SOUND PRODUCTION - FINAL COMPILATION