DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND IMAGING - PROJECT 1

7 Apr 2023 ~ 28 Apr 2023 / Week 1 ~ Week 4
Lee Kai Jin / 0354707 / Bachelors of Mass Communication (Hons) (Digital Media Production)
Digital Photography and Imaging / Taylor's University

Task (Exercises / Project):
Project 1
- Physical Collage
- Digital Imaging Exercise
    - Exercise 1 - Me in Hearst Mansion
    - Exercise 2 - B&W Recolouring


LECTURES

Week 1 (Fri, 7 Apr 2023): Introduction

First day meeting my classmates and Mr. Martin in the computer lab. Mr. Martin introduced about basic usage of pen tool using Bezier game and want us to do some simple research on Pinterest about what Photoshop artwork we like after he introduced the usage of Adobe Photoshop. After that, he introduces us the physical collage class by Mr. Fauzi as introduction to our first task, digital collage.


L_1.0, Result of my Bezier game, week 1


Mr. Martin also want us to update our designs of collage work in the link above for progress checking.

Week 2 (Wed, 14 Apr 2023): Character into Background

Due to Mr. Martin is tested positive for COVID-19, the class is conducted online. The class of today is about basic usage of Adobe PS tools including how to make selection, remove background, trim image, compile several images in one artwork, layer, masking and more. It is not too difficult for me as I am familiar and have some basic skills from other Adobe software. He also provided us some elements to practice and play with.

After that, Mr. Martin demonstrate on how to Photoshop "myself" into the background we want. In this example and exercise, we are required to take a full-shot of ourselves and put it in the mansion background.

L_2.0, Example of outcome, week 2

After the class, he consult us idea to be improve in our physical collage artwork.

Week 3 (Fri, 21 Apr 2023): Black and White Photo Recolouring

Due to Hari Raya Aidilfitri public holiday, Mr. Martin provided recording class for us. It is mainly about how to recolour a black and white image using Adobe Photoshop.

Week 4 (Fri, 28 Apr 2023): Task Review and Consultation

Consultation and feedback.



INSTRUCTIONS

PHYSICAL COLLAGE

As the first task of this module, we are required to come out with a physical collage. It is recommended to cut out the elements from newspaper or magazine but unfortunately, my house never subscribe it for years. Therefore, I decided to print out some elements I like from the internet for my artwork.

Sadly, I could not attend any of Mr. Fauzi's collage workshop because it clashed with my other timetable. I am still managed to get ideas from the internet.


I_1.0, Cutting out the elements, week 1

I_1.1, The elements I have, week 1

I_1.2, Design #1, week 1

I_1.3, Design #2, week 1

I_1.4, Design #3, week 1

After consultation from Mr. Martin, I decided to add more elements into Design #3 to make it more attractive and improve the design.

Final Submission of Physical Collage

Final Submission of Physical Collage (.jpg)

Final submission of Physical Collage (.pdf)

EXERCISE 1 - ME IN HEARST MANSION

Before officially start this tasks, we are required to take a full-shot of ourselves and edit "us" in in the mansion background given. I decided to use a prompt to make it more interesting.

I_2.0, Full-shot of myself, week 2

First at first, select out the character and the whale using selection tool.

I_2.1, Select the character, week 2

Some of the parts did not selected well, need to reselect.

I_2.2, Bad selection, week 2

I_2.3, Masking, week 2

I_2.4, Put the layer in the mansion background, week 3

I_2.5, Flip and colour match, week 2

I_2.6, Add noise filter and shadow, week 2

I_2.7, Making reflection in water, week 2

I_2.8, Add in ripple effect, week 2

I found out the leg part does not looks natural as the character is floating (in the reflection), Therefore, I decided to crop a bit to make it looks more natural.

I_2.9, Cropping, week 2

I_2.10, Overall illustration, week 2

After consulting Mr Martin at week 4, he suggest to make the character smaller (make it around 70%) as the ratio does not look right.

I_4.0, Make the character smaller, week 4

Final Submission of Exercise 1: Me in Hearst Mansion

Final submission of Exercise 1 - Me in Hearst Mansion (.jpg)

Final submission of Exercise 1 - Me in Hearst Mansion (.pdf)

EXERCISE 2 - B&W Recolouring

In this task, we are required to choose one of a black and white picture from the list and recolour it.

I_3.0, List of black and white pictures, week 3

I_3.1, Skin colour reference, week 3

I_3.2, Colour pick and skin colour reference, week 3

I_3.3, Hair colour reference, week 3

I_3.4, Refining hair selection, week 3

I_3.5, Outcome of hair recolouring, week 3

I_3.6, Repeat step of recolouring on other parts, week3

After recolouring all, some of the parts looks not natural. Therefore, I adjust the opacity of the colour and adjust the colour saturation.

I_3.7, Adjustment, week 3

Final Submission of Exercise 2 - B&W Recolouring

Final Submission of Exercise 2 - B&W Recolouring (.jpg)


Final Submission of Exercise 2 - B&W Recolouring (.pdf)


FEEDBACK

Week 2: Physical Collage

General Feedback: Add more elements in design #2.

Specific Feedback: Add in more elements to make it more attractive.

Week 4: Exercise 1 & 2

General Feedback: For exercise 1, adjust the character ratio and exercise 2 looks good.

Specific Feedback: Make the character at around 70% compared with the current one.


REFLECTIONS

Experience:

It is fun playing with Adobe Photoshop.

Observations:

Photoshop is actually very easy to use after familiar with it, it can do a lot of thing just in few clicks in editing photos.

Findings:

Photoshop is not as difficult as I think.
 

FURTHER READING

Adobe Photoshop for Beginners 2021 by Hector Grant

FR_1.0, Adobe Photoshop for Beginners 2021 by Hector Grant

This book is very suitable for Adobe PS beginners as it introduces and provide tutorial on step-by-step on how to do basic editing and effects on images.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VIDEO AND SOUND PRODUCTION - PROJECT 1

VIDEO AND SOUND PRODUCTION - PROJECT 2

VIDEO AND SOUND PRODUCTION - FINAL COMPILATION